Welcome to the Mercy Health – St. Vincent Medical Center OB/GYN Residency program! This is a 4-year, 16 resident program which received Initial ACGME Accreditation (previously AOA accredited Osteopathic residency). We accept 4 new residents per year. Our mission is to prepare the graduate as a competent, compassionate practitioner in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology prepared to successfully complete the examination for board certification.
- Base hospital, Mercy Health – St. Vincent Medical Center, is a tertiary care facility with a patient population offering a broad range of patient encounters.
- High risk obstetrical patients are managed by OB/GYN residents working with an in-house attending. The OB/GYN residency is supported by 20+ OB/GYN attending physicians.
- The Maternal Fetal Medicine service is covered exclusively by our residents.
- Our residents work with Andrew Croak, DO for three months learning how to evaluate urodynamic studies.
- Residents receive training and the opportunity to refine skills in pelvic reconstruction and surgical correction.
- Residents train with F. Nicholas Shamma, MD, in Reproductive Endocrinology Infertility.
- Robotic surgery center, equipped with the new XI DaVinci® robot – Dr. Andrew Croak, Director.
- Laparoscopic Simulation and Robotics lab – fundamental laparoscopic curriculum taught by Saleem Zafar, MD, urological surgeon.
- Noelle, Newborn Hal, Premie Hal
- Interactive cases
- Procedural based skills practice:
- Perineal repair
- Operative vaginal delivery
- Robotic Training Network (RTN) drills/skills
- Intuitive Surgical® daVinci simulator
To date, 100% of all graduating residents that have taken the osteopathic board certification exam have successfully achieved board certification.
The Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency at Mercy Health – St. Vincent Medical Center is approved for 16 residents. Residents receive training at a tertiary center, as well as at several community hospitals, which provides diversity in patient care and management. Our base hospital, Mercy Health – St. Vincent Medical Center, is a tertiary care facility serving the northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan region with a patient population offering a broad range of patient encounters. High risk obstetrical patients are managed by OB/GYN residents working with an in-house attending. The OB/GYN residency is supported by 20+ OB/GYN attendings which offers residents the opportunity to learn a variety of techniques in performing a particular procedure or surgery.
The Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) service is covered exclusively by osteopathic OB/GYN residents, allowing for the management of high risk obstetrics. Residents will have the opportunity to work with Andrew Croak, DO, a Mayo Clinic fellowship trained urogynecologist and Director of Robotic Urogynecology. Residents spend three months with Dr. Croak learning how to evaluate urodynamic studies. They also receive training and the opportunity to refine their skills in pelvic reconstruction and surgical correction. Reproductive Endocrinology Infertility training is provided by Nicholas Shamma, MD. Dr. Shamma is a graduate of Yale University in OB/GYN and fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology Infertility.
Our formal didactic series occur on Friday afternoons. Residents are provided with 3 1/2 hours protected didactic time consisting of lectures and presentations from faculty, guest specialists, and residents.
Journal Club is held monthly. Each month an appointed resident selects several articles for presentation. Research review techniques are used to facilitate discussion and critical evaluation of OB/GYN related topics.
The residency consists of a mixture of single, married and residents with children. The residency is conducive to raising a family with a very reasonable call schedule.
- Noelle, Newborn Hal, Premie Hal